In recent days I've come to fully realize how much the current living situation suffered by myself and the regan is bullshit.
Now, I should note that we are "lucky" to be able to move back home since the chips are down (in truth, we've hardly any chips at all), but living in separate homes with separate parents who nag every 5-6 days like clockwork is getting to be a bit mega-retarded (or "delayed").
I'm all for being safe with money, paying back loans, and getting a "real" job. These are all things I am currently working on. I understand that getting a place (it would have to be rented) right now is pretty much literally impossible considering the negative cashflow we are both experiencing. What I don't quite understand is how you all (yes, you readers, you happily coupled and/or happily singled friends of mine) are able to do it. Even those of you living with parents are at least living TOGETHER with one set of parents. I feel as though I'm 13 years old and I know regan feels the same way (I think he said 8 years old).
Our monetary situation is not likely to change before the end of this year at least, and we are both likely to go bonkers if one of us doesn't escape. What have all your experiences been like? Is the grass always greener? Can we come live with you?
The original game plan was to save up enough by next Fall for a down payment on a real-person house. I don't think I like living with real people. I want to live with regan.
Suggestions?
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I mooch.
I have one of those beanie baby monkeys I got from my parent's; it's called Mooch.
if you can even remotely tolerate it, save for the house, just put a firm date on when you'll be gone; it'll make things so much bearable at home. also go on lots of trips. you guys can come to hamilton anytime, and i haven't checked with megan, but i think we can tolerate you two sleeping in the same bed.
mike
1. I won a car, my grandmother died and I was over employed as a student. Therefore, I graduated debt free.
2. I had savings, then I had a credit line, now I have two jobs that don't pay nearly as much as when I was a student.
3. I'm moving to Hamilton, probably around September. You folks should come live with me! We can get a two bedroom place and I won't make Regan sleep on the couch.
I think the grass must be greener. I always wished in wloo that (either of) my parents had a real-person house I could go crash at for a while.
Borrelli is right about the firm date. Light at the end of the assy living situation tunnel makes things much more tolerable.
Frankly, Borrelli is correct in the sense that imaging buying a house makes sense if: A) you have yourself locked into an area for 4 or more years and B) you have an income locked in now and C) can stand to live with your respective parents until you can save up the downpayment.
Things will get better, but the idea of planning for a house, before your ankle deep in your careers is sort of in the cart before the horse territory. I say set reasonable immediate goals: job, small place, savings account... and then build from there.
We have debt. lots and lots of debt. And by we, I mostly mean me. I think the you probably want to stay fairly mobile, so putting a downpayment on a house might not be the best way to do it. If you have jobs that you can get anywhere, then you especially don't want to get tied into one spot for years and years- check out some of the different school boards around, I'm sure there's a need for teachers in one of them!
ESL man, this is a killer deal out in Asia. If you don't live too extravagently, and you teach some privates after school, you can save 20 grand in a year in Korea easily. I am buying lots of stupid shit and I will still come out about $15 000 up.
I was happy living with you and I'm happy living with my parents. I like grass. :)
Seriously though, it'll get better, Sherry. The reason it's tough is that, if Barrie is anything like Sarnia, leaving your house equals spending money, so your spending far too much time in "the yell zone", which is, for my loud family, anywhere in the house and about a 20 metre radius around the house. When you're working, which you will, you'll feel much better about it.
Because you're planning to stay in the B-town, I think a down payment would be a good idea. It'll seem more tolerable come September when you're teaching (which you will be.)
Note: constant reminders of future employment status as much for reader as for writer. I will work. I will work. I will work.
Post a Comment